Thursday, October 23, 2008

ICKM 2008 - End of Day One

That wraps up the first day of the event. Overall, I found it very stimulating. I have a number more session posts, but I am headed out for dinner and don't want to sit here copying and pasting. I'll do that later.

I found the PM and KM sessions right at the end to be a bit simplistic in their view point. They stressed the lack of collaboration in a typical project. I find that the projects we run in the KWeb are very collaborative, without any of the overwhelming bureaucracy discussed.

I did think that the project recap / post mortem conducted with video and audio taped discussions was a good idea. I wonder if we should add something like that to our process.

The metadata / tagging discussions were a bit of a let down, to be honest. The titles sounded very exciting, but the actual work they were doing was not as interesting. The data on China and tagging will be useful. The taxonomy management reports described were interesting, and could be a good GMMS point release at some time - although they may already be in there.

I have to say that I really enjoyed the keynote speakers. They both gave very different takes on knowledge management.

Looking forward to tomorrow. There look to be some good sessions on communication, collaboration and knowledge sharing, knowledge management strategies and around managing the challenges of complexity in knowledge management.

One of the very nice things we received from the conference is a book, hard bound and clearly of nice quality, with the papers the talks are based on.

It is interesting to compare this to the IA Summit. At the IA Summit everyone has a PC out, there are powerstrips everywhere and wireless is free. Here there are no provisions for people with lap tops. The IA Summit blogs the conference officially, all of the decks are on slideshare right after the speaker is finished and the entire conference is podcast as well.

Here, I need to beg for the slides, the handouts are higher quality and there are few blogs on the conference. Very interesting how this highlights the differences between the two conferences.

No comments: